Our Newest Family Member: Noura Nasrallah

“As you sleep and count the stars, think of others

those who have nowhere to sleep.”

My name is Noura from Beit Jala town. I am a Biblical Studies graduate from Bethlehem Bible College, and a full-time secretary at the Shepherd Society for about a year. 

My story with the College’s helping hand began when I was still a student at the College. It was required that we spend time in the field, helping others, so I did this with the Shepherd Society. There, I got to know more about the amazing work they do among needy people and refugees. I was touched, especially by the ministry to refugees, mainly after my first trip to Jordan. I felt that I wanted to be part of something bigger than myself.

After I graduated from BethBC, I took a life skills course at Bethlehem University. I also earned a Diploma degree in Administrative Skills at Al-Quds Open University, which helps me a lot in my work now. I volunteered again with the Shepherd Society. After my second visit to Jordan among the Syrian and Iraqi refugees, I knew that this is where I belong and where I should be serving the kingdom of God. I started as part-time staff, and then I became a full-time secretary at the Shepherd Society.

My work requires receiving phone calls, arranging appointments with people that need our help, delivering medicines, distributing food parcels, and arranging surgeries with hospitals. Working with the Shepherd Society for a year now has taught me many things, especially to appreciate the little things in life. When you meet with people that don’t have money for the primary necessities in life such as electricity, food, and milk for their babies, you learn not to take such things for granted.

One day a woman with vision difficulties approached us. She didn’t have money to get medical glasses to help her see better, and she lived for years without them. We helped her get a new set of glasses, and she was over the moon! I can’t forget her reaction; she came back after a while and brought us chocolates as a thank you, which touched my heart, and made me realize how much it makes me happy to help people.

As you prepare your breakfast, think of others

do not forget the pigeon’s food

As you conduct your wars, think of others

do not forget those who seek peace

As you pay your water bill, think of others

those who are nursed by clouds

As you return home, to your home, think of others

do not forget the people of the camps

As you sleep and count the stars, think of others

those who have nowhere to sleep

As you liberate yourself in metaphor, think of others

those who have lost the right to speak.

As you think of others far away, think of yourself

say: “If only I were a candle in the dark.”

-Mahmoud Darwish, a Palestinian Author.

We live in such a bubble that we don’t even see or know people very close to us, suffering and struggling through life, without the basic necessities.

With these words from one of the most famous Palestinian authors, Mahmoud Darwish. I encourage you to think of others; as you are going through day-to-day tasks, think of people on the other side of the world that are struggling to get through life. Help others as much as you can, and remember that even the smallest offerings will help.

Help our mission by donating here: www.shepherd-society.org/donate/